Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Procrastination Emergency Box

How to start working on your goals within 30 minutes 


In this post I collect the best anti-procrastination 1-2 liners I know.


  • If I do not feel like starting: 
    • My emotions only work based on past experience: I have to actually try the new stuff. I don't let my emotions guide me in this. My emotions will follow when I actually start working.
    • It is enough for a start to define (write down) the first few steps to the goal and START!
    • There often is a mental vortex created when I start working that will suck my interest in and that will keep me working.
    • I only will know if I like the new activity if I jump into it, my old experience does not apply to new activities, I should disregard my feelings until I tested the activity. Experiment to find out what work/tasks you enjoy and make it your job!
    • Promote yourself to be your leader: 
      • Nobody tells you what to do, but you. You have all the responsibility and all the freedom. Listen to your wishes regarding long-term goals and then give the order to yourself: "Start working!"



    • If I have unclear, broad goals: 
      • It is easier to start when I already know and have written down the first steps. 
      • Whatever goal is vague or foggy creates resistance for me. 
      • Whatever I have clarity on, is easier to work on.
      • Listen to your heart for long-term goals. Listen to your Brain to implement the resulting short-term tasks.

    • If I achieve only ca. 2 hours or less a week of productive work:
      • I build momentum! Start with 20 minutes of working on your long term goals each day. And slowly increase when you feel ready.
      • I write down your long term goals for the next year, 10 years, 50 years, life etc. Find time every day to work for 20 minutes on those long-term goals.

    • To-Do List best practices
      • I write down my to-do-list for today and sort it by priority
      • After I started an activity, I write a line like this : "-"
      • After I finished an activity, I write a  checkmark "✓" in ,my favorite color
      • If I feel anxiety or other emotions while writing the to-do-list:
        • I sit with the list for some time (ca. 5 minutes) and explore your feelings and thoughts (you might want to write them down)

    • Put your mind into overdrive
      • Listen to activating, motivating music. Built a playlist for fast access.
      • I drink high quality coffee.
      • Eat coffee chocolate. Only do this the first few times otherwise you will get fat ;)
      • Put all the lights on.
      • Open the windows to let fresh air in the room.
      • Shut down all incoming communication for the next hours
      • Wear construction earmuffs: the Peltor earmuff-line by 3M is great (Product example: http://amzn.com/B00009LI4K)

    • Get your emotions, imagination and dreams involved
      • Write down who you want to be in 6 month in terms of personality and achievement. For example "I am a hard-working, determined happy creator. I have a wonderful relationship with my girlfriend and my job is satisfying me..."
      • Write down what your future life will be like, after you stopped procrastinating and started working on your life. Use a short version of this and put the text into a scenic beautiful image(photo) a beautiful landscape, car, house etc. and use it as your wallpaper on your PC, Smartphone, tablet etc.

    By JT

    My Life Coach Antony Sameroff (antonysammeroff.com) inspired me to write this post. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment